The Secret Garden Cast Album Review
Music by Lucy Simon
Book and Lyrics by Marsha Norman
The Secret Garden, the musical based on the popular children's novel of the same name, was a moderate success on Broadway. The score is unquestionably lush, if not quite unfocused and sloppy at times.
I was hesitant to start listening to the cast album because of it's origins, but that disappeared as soon as I saw the cast: Mandy Patinkin! Robert Westenberg(the Prince in Into the Woods)! Allison Fraser(In Trousers)!, Rebecca Luker! John Cameron Mitchell! I couldn't remember where I had seen the name John Cameron Mitchell, but then I realized he sang a bonus track on Into the Woods, one of my first cast albums, that I devoured and listened to constantly. And the talent of the cast is thrilling even when the music seems to be muddled.
Lily's Eyes is fantastically emotional, Patinkin is stunning. It is easily the most accessible tune from the score. Hold On is a hidden gem of a female solo, that comes right before the beautiful 11 o'clock number, How Could I Ever Know.
One thing that could have helped the score is more vocal distinction. Often times 6 or 7 different people are singing over each other and it turns into just wasted music. The orchestrations however are exquisite, and really set a beautiful tone for the story. The cast album is somewhat divided between a folksy sound from Fraser and Michell, and an opertic tone from Luker. Also, the ghost chorus is cheesy and delivers some of the worst lyrics. Grade: B+
Below is my song breakdown:
+ I Heard Someone Crying, A Bit Of Earth, Lily's Eyes, Race You To The Top Of The Morning, Hold On, Where In the World, How Could I Ever Know
= It's A Maze, Winter's On the Wing, Storms, The Girl I Mean To Be,Come To My Garden/Lift Me Up, Come Spirit Come Charm
- A Girl In the Valley, Show Me the Key, Wick, There's A Man,
I was hesitant to start listening to the cast album because of it's origins, but that disappeared as soon as I saw the cast: Mandy Patinkin! Robert Westenberg(the Prince in Into the Woods)! Allison Fraser(In Trousers)!, Rebecca Luker! John Cameron Mitchell! I couldn't remember where I had seen the name John Cameron Mitchell, but then I realized he sang a bonus track on Into the Woods, one of my first cast albums, that I devoured and listened to constantly. And the talent of the cast is thrilling even when the music seems to be muddled.
Lily's Eyes is fantastically emotional, Patinkin is stunning. It is easily the most accessible tune from the score. Hold On is a hidden gem of a female solo, that comes right before the beautiful 11 o'clock number, How Could I Ever Know.One thing that could have helped the score is more vocal distinction. Often times 6 or 7 different people are singing over each other and it turns into just wasted music. The orchestrations however are exquisite, and really set a beautiful tone for the story. The cast album is somewhat divided between a folksy sound from Fraser and Michell, and an opertic tone from Luker. Also, the ghost chorus is cheesy and delivers some of the worst lyrics. Grade: B+
Below is my song breakdown:+ I Heard Someone Crying, A Bit Of Earth, Lily's Eyes, Race You To The Top Of The Morning, Hold On, Where In the World, How Could I Ever Know
= It's A Maze, Winter's On the Wing, Storms, The Girl I Mean To Be,Come To My Garden/Lift Me Up, Come Spirit Come Charm
- A Girl In the Valley, Show Me the Key, Wick, There's A Man,
No comments:
Post a Comment